Thursday, April 10, 2014

Rectangles and Curves

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had taken a workshop with Sue Benner at Asilomar during the Empty Spools Seminars.  That was back in February.  If you ever get a chance, take a class from Sue.  She made the class exciting, inspirational and had a lot of information to pass along.

During the four and a half days with Sue we created four small pieces relating to a specific design setting.  As with any workshop we were to bring along fabric, but we were told not to limit ourselves to just cotton.  So I brought along, black velvet, jacquard, hand painted cotton, upholstery fabric and some silk.  The hand painted cotton was some of the fabrics that I posted about here.  The jacquard was also fabric that I had painted and stamped.  Here’s a shot of it.

Our goal for the session was to create four small wall hangings.  Each would be an example of a particular design style; rectilinear, curvilinear, cut and collage, and landscape.

After selecting our fabric pieces, we fused the back of each with Wonder Under, cut each of the fabrics into rectangles, and cut the rectangles into frames.  Whew!!! That was a lot of cutting and all done without a ruler.  Yup!  That’s right.  Freehand cut frames!! We did some shuffling, fused the frames and rectangles together and the piece was ready to sandwich.  Using Sue’s technique for sandwiching (sorry I promised not to post about that) my piece is now ready for quilting.  Here is what it looks like so far.  Any suggestions for quilting?

Our second piece was a curvilinear piece.  Oh no!  Not curves!!!  As it turned out, these again were created by fusing a selection of fabrics, cutting freehand and fusing to a background.  The object here was to create a piece in such a way as at create the perception of a background, mid-ground and foreground, with curved pieces.  This was a tough one.  Here is my result. 

I think I need to try this again.  I’m not sure I have created the depth perception that Sue was trying to get us to do.  Any thoughts?  I will post in a day or two about the remaining two pieces that we tackled.

1 comment:

Gina said...

These exercises are great, I really like this last one! And I see depth with the layers and choice of colors you've used.