Saturday, October 6, 2012

When is a square not a square?

When it's a diamond.  I recently attended a retreat near Enderby, British Columbia.  At that retreat we were shown how to take a simple block, skew it and create some wonderful stars.  It was intrigung. 
It could have taken the entire weekend to create a design, but the hostess provided us with designs already created.  The designs were created from the blocks Maple Leaf and another that looked like this.



Once the blocks were skewed, they formed a diamond shape that was used to create six-pointed stars.  Once created, we coloured our pattern and then went to work cutting up our fabric.
This is what I coloured.
Because we had used tracing paper over our pattern, we could make several attempts at colour placement.  Here is another one of my attempts.
After several more colouring attempts, it was time to cut up our fabric. and create our pieces.  Would it be easier to understand if you saw it in fabric?  Here is my first piece.
If you flip this you should be able to see the skewed maple leaf block.  Well now it was time to make some more diamonds based on my chosen colour pattern.  This is what it was starting to look like.
How does a person hang this on the wall?  time to make more blocks to fill in the edges so that it becomes a hexagon.  It was really really bright.  I had to tone it down some and hopefully the background fabric that I purchased would do the trick.  Six more diamonds and I would have something that was easier to hang on the wall, or make an oh so pretty table topper.  What do you think?
 
Now I just have to sandwich it and quilt it.  But that is for another day.  I have to get a special quilt ready for our Guild's show coming up.  Till the next time....
 

4 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

that is fabulous Brigitte! Wonderful bright colours, great fussy cutting. are you able to strip piece the split diamonds and then cut them or do you piece them individually? Can't wait to see this one. Good luck with your thread painting.

Peggy said...

Now that's fabulous! Reminds me of a table topper I saw somewhere on our trip, but couldn't get the pattern. But there must be something wrong with me, because I don't get how the square block becomes the triangle - guess I'd need to go to the class LOL!

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

Holy moley that is beautiful! wow
: )))
~Monika in Saskatoon

Vicki Miller said...

Oh, wow. That is so gorgeous and looks like a ton of work, but I bet you just 'whipped it up' like you always do. You are amazing.