Tuesday, May 1, 2012

TST #9 - Signatures

One of the fun things about belonging to an Online Guild like the CIS Quilting Forum was the numerous exchanges and friends that you could meet.  An exchange of signatures was organized by some of the members.  Each month we were provided with a list of 5 names and addresses to whom we were to send one signed signature block unit and one 2½-inch square of fabric.  We were to mail these little packets by the 15th of each month. 

The block units were taken from the pattern “Forever Friends”published in the September 1990 issue of Quilter’s Newletter Magazine #225.  It was also shown in the November 1993 issue of Traditional Quiltworks #28 as “Friendship Star”. 

In February 1995 a second round was organized.  Those that joined for the first round were now able to collect additional signatures.  I had received signatures from members in Singapore, France, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, just about every state in the US and every province in Canada.

For a long time my units and their 2½-inch companions set in a decorative tin box that periodically would be opened.  The units would be admired and the box closed.  Finally after many months (more like years) I put the units together, and this is the result.
Collecting started in April 1994, finished in June 1995and I finally pieced them into a top and completed the quilting in August 2008.


4 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

I love the way you've rainbowed the blocks around the signature blocks - very effective and beautiful!

beaquilter said...

love the vibrant colors in there, just lovely!
(you have the robot on BTW)

Linda said...

Fabulous! Just love it.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this quilt! The colors rock! Just wanted to let you know that I have added you to my "bloggy faves" list. Feel free to grab my blog button if you like. Thx Renate! I am just so amazed at your talent!