Sunday, July 8, 2012

What is it called?

I enjoy a periodic trip to a garage sale or swap meet.  A friend of mine recently went to a garage sale and made a wonderful find.  However we haven't been able to figure out what the piece is called.  Here is a picture

and a close up.

It looks like plastice rings were covered with crochet cotton and then joined together.  Anyone have any idea if this has a specific name?  or when this particular technique may have had its heyday?


What Comes Next? said...

Interesting! I've not seen that before! At first look, I thought it was stamping, using the bottom of a wooden spool. I do like the look it gives, but wonder how heavy it is, and what the cleaning would be?

Helen said...

It looks like it is made with dorset buttons. If you google Dorset button you can see what I mean.