Sunday, March 4, 2012

Weaving

is not my strong suit.  However I wanted to experiment.  My first try involved stitching a base of embroidery floss onto netting then weaving wool to form the sides of what hoepfully will end up being a basket.

It looks okay, but not what I had in mind.  In my next attempt, I used small binding strips to form the base and used the same wool for the weaving.


This one is a bit better, but still not what I'm looking for.  I think the spines of the base should be wider than on the first one and narrower than on the second one.  Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Leo said...

did you consider using the wool as warp thread? It looks like its thickness is between the embroidery floss and the binding strips. If oyu want to make a basket, you could also try using wire (garden or fence wire depending on how thick you want it).

Peggy said...

Looks very intricate - no suggestions, because I would have no idea what I'm talking about! Looking forward to seeing what this will become!

What Comes Next? said...

Very creative, aren't you? I do like the effect of the second weaving, and agree that the warp needs to be on the thicker side, and I like the idea of using yarn for it, but maybe not the same yarn as you are using for the weft. Very curious to see your end result on this one!