Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Trunk Show Tuesday #3

Delving further into quilting I discovered an online service called Compuserve that had a quilting chat group.  I was able learn what other quilters were doing.  I leapt in and participated in my first block exchange; a 12-inch finished quilt block with a cat in it.  In a magazine called Traditional Quiltworks (issue 26) I found a block that was 6 inches finished.  The piecing looked easy so I chose to enlarge it.  This was my first attempt at redrafting a pattern.

August 1993 Cat Block Exchange

After exchanging, I received blocks from California, Missouri, Michigan, Maryland, and Maine.  One of the participants sent a picture of her completed quilt to Quiltmaker magazine.  As luck would have it, the picture was published.  Just imagine... my quilt block and name published in a quilting magazine.  How exciting that was!

A year later a second Cat block Exchange was hosted. I wanted to add to the blocks I already had in order to make a larger quilt but chose to do a different block this time.  It’s the one in the third row on the left and was a pattern from Piecemakers.  The block in the lower right corner was the one I had made for the first exchange.

Talk about UFOs ... I finally finished this in September 2004.  It was hand quilted and given to my stepmother. 

1 comment:

Vicki Miller said...

I love them all! especially your twins. Tammy is a bit jealous.