Saturday, December 14, 2013

Rust, lines and another challenge

In a previous post, I mentioned that I had rusted some fabric.  I needed it to complete a challenge piece for the Silver Star Art group that I recently joined.  Here is what I did.
Well after thinking, turning and more thinking, I thought I might be able to use a portion of it.  I cut it in half and rotated the fabric clockwise, ending up with a piece that looked like this.
Remember I had to incorporate the design element "LINE" and use the rust dyed fabric in some way.  I vertically couched thread and wool, using the vertical rust dyed lines as a guide to incorporate line.
Then using Superior's Bottomline thread in black, I added a bit of thread sketching.  I still needed to add something so you could see what I was aiming for.  A few fussy cut leaves strategically placed did the trick.  Voila!!!  Here is the final piece.   
It measures 8" x 10" and will sit very nicely in my journal; the first of many journal quilts I hope.
 
Which brings me to the next challenge this group has been asked to produce.  At our meeting this last Tuesday we talked about SHAPE and TEXTURE, two additional design elements.  At the end of the meeting we were each given this.
Yup!  a copper scrubbie, and told to incorporate it into a piece demonstrating TEXTURE. 
 
Hum....off to the drawing board, but if any of you have any suggestions how this can be put into a fibre art piece, speak up, 'cause I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
 
 

4 comments:

Peg said...

Amazing! Where I saw stains that needed to be cleaned up, you saw trees that just needed a few leaves! That's why you're the artist, and I'm not! That pot-scrubber looks like something I'd just toss. How do people make art from scrap? I stand in awe, no matter what comes from it!

What Comes Next? said...

great journal page - you definitley have the eye for finding designs in things! That pot scrubber is an interesting challenge it will be interesting to see what you come up with!

Vicki Miller said...

Your rust dyed piece is lovely.
Now the scrubbie, you know that would be a treasure in my stash. If toy pull it out is should become a tube, which you can elongate by pulling and could be stitched onto a piece, or you could cut the tube and make it into a flat piece which could be used for anything. Of course my first idea would be to cut it into leaves, butI have also used something similar to make dragonfly wings

dutchcomfort said...

It’s beautiful and I love to read about the process!