I used a variegated 12wt thread and rather like the effect of the colour changes. It may be hard to see in the photo, but the idea was to create ridges that eventually create a dimensional design. After a bit more practice, this was my second piece.
It may be a bit easier to see the patterning in this one. What I found the most difficult was that the stitching of the pattern is worked from the outside in. You had to pay very close attention to the tension and maintain the tension's consistency. This will be a wonderful way to embellish small quilted gifts.
I have also finished up some small cross stitch pieces that will eventually end up as gifts for friends.
I've also tried my hand at rust dyeing. Some pieces turned out wonderfully, some not so much. I used a ratio of 1:1 vinegar to water and let the fabrics soak for two days. Perhaps next time a longer soaking period may help.
This first one was done with a chain. I discovered too late that the chain, although it looked rusty, wasn't. It was actually galvanized so it didn't produce the image I was hoping for.
This second one was done with rusted rebar. You can see the imprint on the upper portion of the fabric where it was wrapped the closest to the rebar.
This last one was an impression created by a rusty wrench. This one turned out the best. Unfortunately the picture does not do it justice. The colour is a more burnt golden that the brown-black you see here.
Now I'm off to use one of these pieces in a journal quilt for a challenge. Let's see what I can come up with.