Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Looking back to move forward

This seems to be the time when people tend to look back over the past year to see what has been accomplished and take a clue from that pondering to move forward.  So I thought I may as well do the same.  Hmmmm....to say "it's been a while since I posted here" would be to a gross understatement.   I mean, OMG!! the last time I posted here was November 2016.  Where did the time go?  Well, let's see what's been going on since then.

I've finished the fabric collage I posted about here.  This is what it looks like.
I've also been working on some "shimmer" quilts, a technique developed by Jenny Bowker and Jinny Beyer.  Here is my first one, but it still needs to be quilted.


I tried a second one with different fabrics and a setting "in the round".  As you can see this picture shows it at the piecing stage.

It is now sewn together and waiting to be sandwiched and quilted.  But there are other things that I've been working on and finishing.  There is this little wall hanging based on the book Happy Villages by Karen Eckmeier.  

It was given as a "thank you" to a corporate sponsor of a gallery where I volunteer.  It's my imaginary Tuscan Village.

The art group I belong to spent time working on a project for Canada's 150th birthday.  It required the use of specific techniques and was created in sections that eventually were joined together in some fashion.  Mine looked like this and I called it Longitude 141° W to 52° W


It, along with 9 others, was displayed at Lake Country's Art Walk last year.  My artist statement read:

Canada is vast, abundant and diverse, and celebrates its 150-year birthday this year.  I chose to portray its wildlife diversity interspersed with other symbols associated with Canada.  For the west coast, a salmon; for the east coast, a puffin; for the north, a polar bear and inukshuk.  Represented by the green, red, brown and yellow triangles circling the puffin, is the Maple Leaf Tartan, Canada’s official tartan.  All are linked together by Canada’s maple leaf and motto, “A Mari Usque Ad Mare”, from Sea to Sea.  I love my home. 

Then there was some finishing of "flimsies" that had been sitting around for quite some time.  Finishing these gave me an opportunity to do some much needed FMQ practice.
Trip for 2 to Boston
This one in particular had been sitting around for a l-o-n-g time.  I had posted about the construction here.  Yup you read that right...6 years ago.

And to round out the finishes, a few community care quilts.



Now it's a new year and it's time to get some new projects on the go.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Wow, you've had a wonderfully productive year. Such gorgeous quilts! Wishing you another another creative, happy year!