Monday, October 6, 2014

I've been knotty

No, no I did not spell "knotty" incorrectly;  I'm talking about Celtic knots.  A recent retreat gave me the opportunity to learn how to design those knots. I was prepared to cut and work with bias strips, but discovered that you can create knots with just some free motion quilting.


After some preliminary instruction I got good and "knotty" and designed several knots.  I chose to work two of them in fabric.  They are still at the basted stage, but here is the result.


They'll make wonderful cushion covers, don't you think?

Because I knew the theme of the retreat beforehand, I also brought along a quilt top that I thought would benefit from some Celtic knot work.  What better place to get assistance than at this retreat?  It presented a challenge because I was trying to add the knot to corners rather than in a circular pattern.

After several attempts, I came up with a design that I liked.  This too is basted and will need to be appliqued in place.

Once the knot work is stitched in place I'll have to decide if I'm going to hand or machine quilt this. Any thoughts?

Till the next time,

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt.

2 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

very nice! looks like you've been practicing some fmq!

Vicki Miller said...

Like I said, Amazing. Any quilting will be great, so long as it is your quilting!