I drew out the plan on graph paper, apart the fabrics, sewed them back together; mounted them on a flannel board and didn’t like the result. One of the students said it would work; I just had to let it percolate for a while. I felt I had wasted some very pretty fabric and there was no rescuing the project. Dianne assured me that if I just took the pieces home, and left them on my design wall they would eventually "reveal themselves" to me .
The patches sat on my design wall for several weeks. Each time I looked up, I would move some of the patches around. Then…EUREKA…it finally clicked; with some minor adjustments it started to take shape. I sewed additional patches and decided that the quilt was becoming too square. Using the left over four patches, I added borders to two sides.
You can see from the picture the end result. The quilt was donated to Hawthorne Lodge, a seniors’ center in Port Coquitlam, B.C.