It took me a while to figure out what exactly I wanted to do, but two folks in a coffee shop were the trigger for my idea. Two tools used for silent conversation are your hands and eyes.
This piece was quite out of my regular style of quilt. I used Lutradur, pigma pens, and thread sketching, a technique that I never used before, but thought I would try. I found pictures of the hand signs on the web and printed them to Lutradur. The first attempt was too grainy...
and did not give enough detail. The Lutradur was also a lighter weight (70ml). Plus it left behind too much ink on the carrier sheet. Here you can see the residue.
I had read that if you apply a gel medium this would improve the print. I went to the local artist shop and purchased a sample of products. Digital Ground by Golden was supposed to work, so I tried it. I painted the 70ml Lutrador and tried again. You can see a definite difference. The treated Lutradur is on the left, the untreated on the right.
This came out better, but still needed detail. I purchased a heavier weight of Lutradur (100 ml) and tried again. This one came out the best of all but I still wanted to emphasize the detail a bit more.
Pigma pens with a brush tip helped provide that little bit of extra detail. Here is a close up of one of the hands.
Now I just had to stitch them to the background. I used black thread and arranged them so that they might appear to be in a flurry somewhat like what happens during a conversation. Of course you need to be able to see the hands during a converstation, so I added the thread sketched eyes. I connected all the items with stitching to portray the conversation.
Well there you have it! It was quite a challenge! Now I think I will go and have a conversation with my other tools. Till the next time, pieceful sewing...